On June 7, 1921, a small group of Baptists of the Eau Claire community met at the home of G.C. Livingston for the purpose of considering the organization of a Baptist Church in this area. After prayer and discussion by these few, a meeting was called to be held at Hyatt Park School on June 26, 1921, and on that date the Bethel Baptist Church was organized. Charter members were: Mr. and Mrs. E.G. Aldridge, Mr. and Mrs. J.B. Blalock, Mrs. N.C. Dickert, Miss Ella Dickert, Mrs. G.H. Sherer, Miss Merle Sherer, Mr. and Mrs. L.E. Spann and Mr. Leon Still.
The Rev. J.A. Atkins served as pastor the first year and services were held at Hyatt Park School.
In July, 1921, the church purchased land on Ensor Avenue on which to erect a building. In October, 1922, this lot was exchanged with the Monticello Land Company for three lots on North Main Street, where the present church building now stands.
In April, 1922, a call was extended to the Rev. E.N. Nungezer of Estill, South Carolina, to become Pastor. The church at that time had 28 members and already had a thriving Sunday School, Baptist Training Union, and a Women’s Missionary Society.
On August 13, 1922, the church changed its name to Eau Claire Baptist Church.
In February, 1923, a building was begun, at the cost of approximately $14,000, along with the volunteer labor of members and friends. The church began to use the building in September, 1923.
The present sanctuary was constructed in 1951 and the current educational building was built in 1966.
On November 5, 2017, a service was held to dedicate the educational building and was renamed the "William R. Montague Christian Education Facility."